Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Perfect Wedding Dress ... Realized

So, I couldn't wait any longer. I just had to go wedding dress shopping!

I'm a non-traditional bride, sure...but I also have pretty conservative fashion taste. So, I already knew shopping for a wedding dress in this over-the-top era of 'My Super Sweet Sixteen' and 'Don't Be Tardy For The Wedding' would be a challenge. Hell, we had to buy my ring online just to get a simple, plain friggin band with a single stone in a Tiffany style setting.

Not surprisingly, our initial trip to the traditional bridal shop was a total bust.  My mom and I were gagging over the frilly cake topper dresses (and the outrageous prices)...and speaking of sizes, how evil are gown sizes?!?! I tried on a 17/18 and it didn't even go over my tatas. What. The. Fuuuu?

Anyway, after a much-needed pit-stop for sushi, my parents and I decided to take things down a notch and go in the opposite direction. So, off we went to Macy's to see what they had to offer.

Thank God we did. After all, my fiancee and I are having our wedding in a wine room at a local restaurant and our dinner is more like a dinner party/cocktail party. A cocktail dress seemed more in line with the occasion ... and with who I am as a bride.

I have to admit too, that my dream dress has always been a red one. My mom quickly put the kibosh on that idea when I let it slip to her a few months ago.

But then...we saw this dress. It's red. It's in that late 50's/early 60's Joan from 'Mad Men' style I have always L-O-V-E-D....it's by Calvin Klein...it's tea length...



All I can say is WOW! (I have a pic of me in it, but it's not going up on the web...you can see that when my photog snaps it in July.)

Oh, and it's 5 sizes smaller than my starting size AND it'll likely have to come down another size at the tailor's next month...which will land it at the size 14 goal I had set for myself back in January.

GAH!

I even convinced my mom -- actually, wait a minute, they were her idea -- to let me try on a pair of matching red patent leather peeptoe pumps.

This is my dream wedding ensemble...and it not only fits...it actually looks good! All I need is a spray tan and my fiancee and we'll be ready to get hitched.

I can't believe this is all happening!!! I'm a size 14/16 people!!! Holy crap!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment