Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Should I or Shouldn't I?

For years, I've loathed the idea of Weight Watchers. More of an analytical type, the whole idea of applying a points value to something sorta kinda pisses me off. Calories, fat, carbs, protein, science - that I get. But what's a point? How does it work inside of my body?
Why? Why? Why?

I am such a pain in the ass about stuff like this. It's genetic, really. (Those of you who know my family will be able to attest to this with rapid-fire examples.) I need more than just an arbitrary explanation of things.

Oh, and don't get me started on their horrendous "foods". The so-called diet crap like sugar-free, fat-free muffin tops that somehow taste good (wtf?) and micro-meals that have little to no nutritional value and don't pass as being food in my not so humble opinion. Yeah, and they frickin let you eat pizza! I mean, okay, yes, pizza is an important food group when you're PMS-ing, stressed or watching football, but I consider that a major cheat and would rather keep it in the naughty corner instead of bringing it out into the light. When I'm cheating I know that I'm cheating and quite frankly, I need the guilt to get me back on the wagon the next day.

I know, I know. My mind ain't right.

Still, what I think I might NEED from the Weight Watchers cult phenomenon is the pressure. The pressure of the weigh-ins. The face-to-face meetings and getting to know other fatties in the fight. I have a Facebook group called Wishful Shrinking that provided that to me for a while and is still amazing and valid and a great place to meet up - but let's face facts. When your fellow weight loss warriors are spread all across the globe, it's easy to shirk your responsibilities and push away the pressure. So what if I haven't reported a loss in months. They can't see how fat my ass looks in these pants!

As wonky as my reasons might be to some, they make sense to me. Still, there's something about Weight Watchers that creeps me out. Maybe it's my Catholic upbringing and resulting aversion to joining anything with rituals and a collective consciousness. I dunno. But I really do need more pressure in my life to keep forging ahead.

Then, in the midst of writing this post and researching the organization, I come across stories like the one below and begin again to wonder...can I really join something (and spend money on something) that's kinda part of the problem? A Filet-O-Fish? Really, New Zealand? Really? The wrap and salad might be okay - I guess - except for the fact that they have hundreds more calories in them than anything a home cook would ever dare make. Honestly! McDonalds?

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/03/mcdonalds-now-offering-weight-watchers-approved-meals-in-new-zealand/

I'm so friggin' conflicted.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Honestly, I think you're giving it too much power. It's just Weight Watchers. It's not a cult or a religion.

Weight Watchers is totally customizable. WWs does not ask you to eat sugar free cookies or McDonaldds. You eat regular food. They do sell some convenience foods, but you don't have to buy them. You choose the foods -- they just do the scientific work for you and assign a points value.

If what you're looking for is the pressure of a weigh in and the support of a group, WW is a good option. Give it some thought though -- it is an investment of your time and money. Maybe you can get that somewhere else.

Shan said...

Sarah, I think you are spot on right about that. I give many things too much power - my cynicism always gets into the mix. I also know they don't ask you to eat their weird foods - I'm just so anti-processed stuff at this point. I think I need to remember that it's a choose your own adventure type thing. If I can get anything out of it, what's stopping me?

Shan said...

btw - thanks for your comment. I needed the honesty and perspective!

Theresa said...

I actually joined Weight Watchers online about a year and a half ago when they were running a three month promo deal. I was pretty desperate to start losing the leftover baby weight (for those who don't know me, my son is seven; that should give you a good idea of my motivation level), and the weight I had gained "dealing" with a whole host of weighty issues I encountered as I learned to be a parent to special needs twins and ultimately losing one of my boys when he was four. I was sure that if I had someone telling me just how much I could eat and what I should eat, it would be a piece of cake...pun intended. ;) Had I used the program the way it is meant to be used (attending meetings or at the very least logging onto the online chats and actually being honest about recording what I ate) I may have seen better results. In the three months I was on it, I only lost about five pounds. The only feature I really loved was the recipe finder; you plug in any ingredients you have in the house and it will give you a list of recipes you could make with what you have. Other than that I felt I was paying to hear a lot of things I already knew and obviously didn't do. But, if you committ to getting out and talking to the "fatties" (LOL! I loved that part!) maybe the group support (or public humiliation...however you choose to see it!) will help you. That's what I love most about the Shrinkers. Though I'm slooooowly getting back to work and haven't been visiting the page as much as I want to, it's nice to know that people who are in the same boat and who understand will be there! As for me, the only thing that I have had any lasting success with is eating (as often as possible) food in its most natural state and cooking at home from scratch. Because I have a lot of the symptoms of metabolic syndrome I've been reading up on it and just this week started applying the "linking and balancing" system to what I eat. I like it because it is easy and I can use it all the time, no matter where I am. It's too early to say it's making me lose weight any faster or easier but I physically feel the difference. Especially in my energy level. Anyhoo...my point (yes, I did have one in mind! Lol!) is that you never know what will flip the switch and work for you! If you are willing to give it a real shot, go for it! What do you have to lose?...I'm sorry...I couldn't help myself! ;)

Shan said...

LOL! Theresa, I'll forgive the puns. You've got a lot to lose the weight for and a great excuse...er, event coming up too. That's a great motivator. You've been doing awesome so far and I swear, had you not kept mentioning your successes and positive outlook on weight loss, I might have given up a month or so ago. So you're right - it's weird what flips that old switch. I wish I could figure out what in the hell flips it off!!!

Post a Comment