Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Less than 50 to go!

I've had a LOT of far off friends ask for recent photos after the latest weight loss blitz. Problem is, my once tight leggings don't fit me anymore. They're just pj pants now. I'm also too cheap to go out and buy new ones just for the sake of photo taking. So, I've opted for a cami that's just about ready to go into the donation bin and a pair of jeans. This is me at 234.


131 down. Just 49 to go!

In other news, my losses have convinced my mom to give Medifast another go. She's going to do the program the way the docs recommend with little to no activity. After just a few days she's already down three pounds. I hope she can stick with it - it's not easy - especially for a food addict like the two of us!

I've modified the plan to suit my lifestyle a bit, however. I just like the feeling of accomplishment that comes from working out (too much) and can't cut it out of my life partially, much less altogether. (To be fair, they do suggest you exercise at least a little bit when you're settled into the program - but walking for 20-30 minutes is not a workout to me!)

So, I've upped my protein intake a bit by way of some extra cheese and lean meat in order to protect my muscles from depletion without messing with the low carb formula Medifast relies on. I also allow myself the occasional "cheats" and haven't seen any halt in my progress (for example, last week I ate an Indian meal of Tandoori Chicken with about a quarter cup of rice and a serving of whole wheat roti; yes, I know that sounds so like the polar opposite of a "cheat", but remember, I'm working to stay uber loooooow carb here! Rice is completely forbidden on MF!) Regardless of my naughtiness, lately I've been moving down the scale at a pace of 10-15 pounds per month!

Could my losses be greater if I never ate extra carbs here and there? Probably. Would I be at risk of being committed to a mental health facility if I never cheated periodically? Probably.  You bet your ass I would!

I attribute much of my losses to Medifast, and the ketosis and calorie deficit the program creates. However, to say that my 5-6x/week workouts have nothing to do with it would be nonsense. Actually, I think the fact that I do work out so religiously has helped to keep my "cheats" from costing me precious pounds. Lately, it's been kettlebells 1x, pilates/yoga 2/x and 30 on the elliptical and 15 on the bike 2-3x. Adding the elliptical and kettlebells into the mix this past month has really ramped up the visible muscle tone in my arms and legs...but you won't be seeing my gams for at least a few more months! Still have some flab to attend to.

Can't wait til those hips are more proportional to the rest of me and my tummy is gone. I can see the end in sight!!

By the way, if you're looking for a tough but fun workout - give this kettlebell bootcamp a try. The host takes a bit of getting used to, but the program is broken into sets, so you can skip some, do others you like twice, etc. It's a great starter to kettlebells - and boy, will your legs burn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment